School finally let out around 3:15 (which honestly felt way later than it should have), and I wasn’t really in a hurry to get home. The air had that unmistakable August feeling—warm enough for a T-shirt, but with that little reminder that summer wouldn’t last forever. The streets were still full of people, the sky had that soft golden glow of late afternoon, and somehow the whole city felt a little slower than usual. Between the tall buildings, busy coffee shops, and that cool Seattle summer air, the city had this calm feeling that made even a normal afternoon feel kind of special. Instead of heading straight home, I ended up walking around downtown for a while. No real plan. No destination. Just walking. Honestly, those were usually the best afternoons anyway.
I stopped by Starbucks (because, obviously). An Iced Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso with extra cinnamon... my usual summer order. They messed up my name again, which honestly wasn’t even surprising anymore. At this point, I kind of expected it. A small bookstore caught my attention a few blocks later. I stood outside for a minute, looking through the window at shelves full of new releases and old favorites, telling myself I didn’t need another book (I definitely did, like always). The smell of coffee drifted down the street every time someone opened the caffé door next door, mixing with the warm air and the sound of people talking outside in a way that felt straight out of a movie.By the time I got home, the sun was already starting to set. I took a quick shower, changed into the softest sweatshirt I could find (because summer nights always got colder than you expected), and grabbed a vanilla iced latte. I thought about making tea for like five seconds, but coffee won... again. I opened Eclipse, read a few chapters by the window, and then grabbed the notebook that somehow always ended up on my desk. Most of the pages were filled with random thoughts, little ideas, quotes from books, and things that probably wouldn’t make sense a year from now. Still, I kept writing. My playlist had been playing on repeat for hours, and I barely even noticed anymore.
Outside, Seattle slowly started to quiet down. The last bit of sunlight disappeared behind the buildings, cars passed by under the streetlights, and somewhere in the distance, I heard someone laugh before everything got quiet again. Nothing crazy happened that day. No big adventures. No life-changing moments. Just coffee, books, music, and another ordinary afternoon that somehow felt worth remembering. Maybe that’s the thing about August. It has a way of making you appreciate those last little moments of summer before everything starts changing.

No comments:
Post a Comment